FEMA Elevation Certificate

FEMA Elevation Certificate | Elevation Certificate | Flood Determination

As you are probably aware, the Talladega County flood maps were recently updated in March 2016. If you need an elevation certificate or flood survey for your house, please call Talladega Land Surveying at 256-854-9503 or go to our Contact page and fill out the form there. We will call to discuss your land surveying needs.

“Thanks Keith – this [elevation survey & certificate] helped [our client] a lot – quote went down to $460 – down from $2599.”

– Staci Herring, State Farm Insurance

What exactly is a FEMA Elevation Certificate?

An Elevation Certificate is the FEMA form that is completed by a licensed land surveyor after the completion of an Elevation Survey (aka Flood Survey) at a particular location adjacent to a FEMA designated flood zone. The Flood Elevation Survey determines the elevation of the following places:

  • Finished Floor Elevation (FFE) of the House
  • Basement and/or Crawl Space elevation
  • Lowest Adjacent Ground (LAG) elevation
  • Lowest structure attached to the house (ie. Steps, decks, etc)
  • Highest Adjacent Ground (HAG) elevation
  • Elevation of any equipment servicing the house (ie. A/C unit, etc.)

Recent Changes to the FEMA Flood Maps

Recently many areas of our state completed the process of updating the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs).  These maps show the areas of potential flooding based on the 1-percent chance storm event. This has been known in the past as the 100 year flood and is also known as the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).  When you get the amount of rain comprising the 1-percent storm the flood water will come to a certain elevation near your home, known as the Base Flood Elevation (BFE).

FEMA is required to assess its flood hazard map inventory at least once every 5 years.  But, because of funding shortfalls, it’s been over 15 years for some communities. For those homeowners with a mortgage, purchasing flood insurance is mandatory in a participating community if the loan is federally insured or the lender is regulated by the federal government.

Flood insurance is highly advisable even if you’re not required to purchase but are located near a stream or lake.  Remember, the 1-percent chance storm has a 1 percent chance of being met OR EXCEEDED in any year.

Over the life of a 30 year mortgage there is a 26% chance of having a flood event that exceeds the base flood elevation.  Mortgage insurance rates are generally less the higher above the base flood elevation your finished floor is located.

Therefore, if you are four feet above the BFE the rates should be lower than if you were at or below the BFE.  A $400 policy may well be worth the peace of mind it brings.  Your homeowner policy has an exclusion from any flood damage.

You should also know that just because you’re above the BFE and far away from a running stream, many dry ditches have caused significant damage to a home during a flash flood.  Again, your homeowner policy is useless in this case but a flood policy would cover this damage.

Purchasing flood insurance is mandatory…

…if the loan is federally insured or the lender is regulated by the federal government

As stated above, your mortgage company may be required to ask you to purchase flood insurance.  Of course, they would want you to do so because they are protected also.

You should also know that the mortgage lender may also require flood insurance even if it is determined you don’t need it. This is their prerogative.  Again, the rates should be rather low in this case, but there are some costs nonetheless.

Assessing Your Risk of Flooding

Now that you know a little about the overall situation, how does this affect you directly?  If you are currently shown in or near a flood hazard zone on the flood maps, NOW is the time to act.  The following are the possible situations in which you may find yourself:

1. Your lot is OUT of the flood hazard zone completely on the old and new maps.  This is great.  In this case there is no requirement for the purchase of flood insurance.  But, as we said below, if there is ANY risk you might want to consider it. An evaluation of your risk is quick and easy.

2. Your lot is IN the flood hazard zone. This puts you under the requirement for flood insurance.  Your situation may now be one of the following:

2.a.Your lot is “in” the flood hazard zone but the lowest adjacent grade (LAG) around your house is “out” or above the base flood elevation (BFE). In this situation, it is possible that the flood insurance requirement may be removed.  This process is called a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA).

2.b.Your lowest adjacent grade (LAG) is below the BFE but the lowest finished floor elevation (FFE) is above the BFE. In this case you need to purchase flood insurance.  An Elevation Certificate is necessary as a way to determine your premium rate.

2.c.Your lowest finished floor elevation (FFE) is below the BFE. This case is similar to 2.b. above but the flood risk is higher.  Again, get an elevation certificate to determine your premium rate.

If you’re in situation 2 above, the first step is to get an elevation survey.  This process is done by a licensed land surveyor who will measure the elevations on the list above to determine your location relative to the flood hazard zone. This process will produce an Elevation Certificate that can be used to either complete the LOMA process or allow your insurance agent to set the flood insurance premium rate.

One last money saving tip – if you are in the flood zone, you may be able to add engineered flood vents in your foundation to reduce the potential damage, and thus your insurance premium for flood insurance.

Flood Determination

For more specific information about the National Flood Insurance Program, see the web at floodsmart.gov. To review FEMA’s Flood Maps in your area, go to FEMA Map Service Center.

Contact Us for an Elevation Certificate

The land surveyors at Talladega Land Surveying are eager to discuss your potential flood situation with you.  We have lots of experience in this type of work.  To talk about getting an elevation certificate, please call us today at 256-854-9503.